Hard Working Traditional Values With A Dash of Fun

Hard Working Traditional Values With A Dash of Fun

Friday, April 12, 2013

Fiddlin' - I Am The Very Model Of Our Modern Homeschool Motherhood

Anyone acquainted with the work of Gilbert and Sullivan is quick to fall in love with the many clever lyrics. Perhaps there is no better example than I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major General from The Pirates of Penzance.

With Mothers Day just a month away, here is the song revised to honor homeschool moms.

I Am The Very Model Of Our Modern Homeschool Motherhood

by Don Milne

I am the very model of our modern homeschool motherhood;
I've information spiritual, temporal, and all that's good.
I know the great plays of the Bard, and I quote the verses theatrical,
From Henry Six to The Tempest, in order categorical.

I'm very well acquainted too with matters mathematical;
I understand equations both the simple and quadratical.
About a woman's pregnancy, I'm teaming with a lot to say,
With many cheerful fact about the reasons that she got that way.

Chorus:
With many cheerful fact about the reasons that she got that way.
With many cheerful fact about the reasons that she got that way.
With many cheerful fact about the reasons that she got, she got that way.

I'm very good at French cuisine. I know my child psychology,
And I can teach you violin in a quartet or symphony.
In short in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
I am the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

Chorus:

In short in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
She is the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

I know colonial history, JohnAdams and George Washington.
I teach a Constitution classs while playing the accordion.
I clean my home, and wash laundry while memorizing Heb'rew.
I garden, do aerobics, meet my husband for a rendezvous.

I read my children stories for the Gospels or from Genesis.
I take them on a field trip by the first of every month no less.
I sew my own desginer clothes. My kitchen is immaculate.
When in-laws come to visit, I serve crepe souffle de halibut!

Chorus:
When in-laws come to visit, she'll serve crepe souffle de halibut!
When in-laws come to visit, she'll serve crepe souffle de halibut!
When in-laws come to visit, she'll serve crepe souffle de hali-, halibut!

I teach a unit study course on each and every holiday;
I've organized my day so I can read the scriptures, think, and pray.

In short in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
I am the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

Chorus:

In short in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
She is the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

In fact when I know what is meant by "erudite" and "explicate,"
When I can tell the difference 'tween "diagram" and "conjugate,"
When such pursuits as bickering or self doubting I'm wary of,
And when I nurture my children by teaching them of God's great love.

When my kids trash the living room, I exercise my self-control,
And I know twenty different ways to transfigure a casserole.
In short when I have lived a life of homeschooling philosophy,
You'll say a better modern homeschool mom has never bettered me!

Chorus:
You'll say a better modern homeschool mom has never bettered she!
You'll say a better modern homeschool mom has never bettered she!
You'll say a better modern homeschool mom has never better, bettered she!

For my matriarchal knowledge, tho' I'm humbly unpretentious,
And tho' there's much I lack of yet in reaching total genius-ness,
But still in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
I am the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

Chorus:

In short in matters spiritual, temporal and all that's good,
She is the very model of our modern homeshool motherhood.

 

1 comment: