Father's Day is coming soon, but in modern America, more and more children no longer look to their father for support. Instead, they go ask their broke uncle to take care of them.
For most of history, the norm of society was for fathers to be responsible for taking care of their minor children. If a child needed a place to stay, the father would provide. If a child needed a meal, the father would provide. If a child needed clothing, the father would provide.
Now, thank's to Uncle Sam, fathers are optional. Need to feed a child? No need to cut back on beer, cigarettes or lottery tickets. Uncle Sam will feed your kids with school breakfast, lunch, and even dinner.
In the first half of the 20th Century, 70-90% of black children had a mother and a father to raise them. Now, in the early years of the 21st Century, only 30% of black children live in two parent homes. What has changed? Men have figured out that they can walk away from fatherly responsibilities, knowing that welfare will step in help support single moms. And the single moms are supportive of this arrangement as evidenced by their voting patterns. In the last presidential election, two thirds of single moms voted for Obama. They like having Uncle Sam to pay the bills that would normally be the responsibility of the father.
Compassionate liberals love how welfare programs "help" the poor. Unfortunately this kind of "help" comes with damaging side effects.
- Having no dad around means children do worse in school with lower grades and higher drop out rates.
- Having no dad around means children are more likely to get in trouble with the law.
- Having no dad around means children are more likely to exhibit behavioral disorders and attempt suicide.
- Having no dad around means boys are more likely to have trouble establishing normal gender identity.
- Having no dad around means girls are more likely to become single moms.
Society needs to take actions that will encourage fathers to be fathers and not let Uncle Sam take their place. The "security" provided by Uncle Sam's welfare support comes at an unacceptable cost.