Hard Working Traditional Values With A Dash of Fun

Hard Working Traditional Values With A Dash of Fun

Monday, June 30, 2014

Fireman Gone But Promises Remain


One year ago today the tragic deaths of 19 Arizona firefighters in the Yarnell Hill Fire made national news. It was worst firefighter loss of life in the United States since 1933.

One of firemen, Andrew Ashcraft, left a widow and four children behind. The month before he died, he also left his wife Juliann a list of promises that could be emulated with great results by any husband and father. Here is what Andrew promised Juliann:

I PROMISE to always take out the trash.
I PROMISE to always be honest with you.
I PROMISE to always be your best friend.
I PROMISE to always be your biggest fan.
I PROMISE to always take care of you.
I PROMISE to protect you with my life.
I PROMISE to hold you.
I PROMISE to show you my live for you.
I PROMISE to be someone you're proud of.
I PROMISE to show you how thankful I am for you.
I PROMISE to always put your needs first.
I PROMISE to take you away and be with you.
I PROMISE to love you for time and all eternity.
I PROMISE to be the father our family deserves.
I PROMISE my decisions will make our family strong again.
I PROMISE to never ease up and coast.
I PROMISE to be mean if it means helping you and our family.
I PROMISE I will rise above my environment.
I PROMISE to love you.

EXECUTED
Signed Agreed to on 2nd day of May, 2013 by the undersigned

Andrew Sterling Ashcraft
Husband and Father

The Deseret News had a great article about Mrs. Ashcraft and what has transpired in the past difficult year.

Prior to making this list, Andrew Ashcraft gave everyone in his young family silicone bracelets with the words "Be Better." He was wearing his when he was trapped by a fire that reached 2,000 degrees. His bracelet survived unharmed.

Juliann Ashcraft told the Deseret News, "I'm not a single parent. My children have a dad. They have a wonderful, amazing dad."


If you liked this post and what to encourage other readers, be sure to share it by selecting one of the share buttons below.

If you would like to get a notice of future posts, choose the Follow option at the bottom of this blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment