Defenders of President Obama complain that his critics disparage the President's foreign policies only because Obama is a liberal Democrat. They think that no mater what Obama does, the opposition will complain in knee-jerk fashion because they must always see everything that Obama has done as wrong.
This is not true.
Obama's distant cousin, Harry Truman was a big time liberal and that did not stop him from making many good foreign policy decisions. If we compare his actions to Barack Obama's, it is clear that Truman was a much more competent Commander-in-Chief. Here are the important decisions he made. It is questionable that Obama would have made these same choices.
1. Truman unhesitatingly approved the use of atomic bombs on Japanese cities. The left wing of the Democrat party, of which Obama is a disciple, has long questioned the morality of using nuclear weapons against civilians. Truman's decision ended the war and America avoided hundreds of thousands of casualties predicted from invading the Japanese main islands.
2. Truman was a signer of the Potsdam Declaration, which outlined the strategy for defeating Japan including its "prompt and utter destruction." Also "The Japanese Government shall remove all obstacles to the revival and strengthening of democratic tendencies among the Japanese people. Freedom of speech, of religion, and of thought, as well as respect for the fundamental human rights shall be established." Meanwhile Obama limits his goals to "degrading" ISIS and there is no plan of being prompt.
3. Truman initiated the Truman Doctrine and stopped the expansion of Communism in Greece, Turkey, and Korea. Obama has no similar doctrine to stop the expansion of Islamic fascism, and in fact his actions and inaction have created an environment where radical Islam is thriving. In facing Russia, he unilaterally abandoned defensive missile plans for Poland and the Czech Republic. Truman left troops in Japan and Germany to maintain the peace. Obama withdrew troops from Iraq leaving a vacuum for ISIS to rise to power.
4. Truman supported the new state of Israel, America's only democratic ally in the Middle East. Obama has been criticized by Israel watchers as the least friendly U.S. president ever.
5. Truman was able to get bipartisan support from a Republican congress to create the Marshall plan that rescued Europe from a postwar depression and kept it from embracing communist economics. Obama has proved time and time again unable to work with the opposition party.
Truman had to make many tough decisions and he lived by the motto, "The Buck Stops Here." Obama has gone out of his way to avoid taking responsibilities, so much so that he has become the butt of many jokes. Here is a sample:
Sometimes conservatives criticize liberals just because they are liberals, but sometimes the criticism has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. In the case of Obama, he has proved incompetent in carrying out foreign policy.
If you liked this post, be sure to share it by selecting one of the share buttons below.
If you would like to get a notice of future posts, choose the Follow option at the bottom of this blog.